Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake (or Scones, as the case may be)

Noah and I have been going to an expat playgroup since we first arrived.  I've met some great folks from all over the place.  But I hadn't yet hosted because for so long we didn't have any of our things, and I thought the kids would get bored of (or break) the six toys we brought on the plane with us.  Our boat shipment still hasn't come (three months and counting... supposedly it's landed in Durban, on the coast, and should be cleared to leave in the next week or so!), but we did get our air shipment at the end of February. It was a small set of boxes they shipped by air -- apparently by way of Antarctica because it took almost 2 months.   With new toys in hand, I decided it was time to step up and host.  I can't deny that I felt a bit like a housewife in Mad Men, but like a good Frankel/Rashman/Berger, I rolled up my sleeves and called Wegmans.  I mean I set to work.  I made scones (ok, from a mix) and served fruit and coffee, yada yada.   About 10 parents came with 1-3 kids each. 

The highlight reel...

 Here's to the ladies who lunch.  
(There are 3 dads who regularly come too.  Dalius, from Seattle, is at far left.)

 I convince Mien (Netherlands) to try out Lucy's jump rope.  (Yes, it really was quite a rockin' party!)

 Coffee Klatch - Mien, Penney (US) and Carron (UK )*
* Carron's the one who made Lucy's butterfly birthday cake.

Noah wakes up from his nap (an hour in!) and is wondering what the heck is going on.

 Daycare Center A Go Go

 As they say, why buy expensive toys?  (A box from our air shipment)

 More box action.  (Lucy has been decorating it for weeks.)

 Noah finds grapes on the floor and tries to eat them with great relish. (Yes, G'ma Judy, I raced in to ruin the fun and keep him from choking.)

Noah has to work on his hosting skills (or maybe he'll be a future bouncer).  
He was a bit rough with Kovis when showing him out.

It was a lot of fun, but the house looked like a 2 ft. high cyclone had swept through.  Note to self: scones are very crumbly.  

The safari pauses for a vacuum break. xo,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment