Friday, June 3, 2011

Passover Seder, South Africa-Style

We were happy to be invited to a Passover Seder for the second night.  It was organized by some new friends and hosted by the SA head of US AID (what a mensch!).  It was a varied group - folks from the States, the UK, and even a few South African Jews, too.  As a refresher, Passover commemorates the Exodus story, when the Jews were freed from slavery in Egypt.  The significance of retelling this story in South Africa, where Apartheid ended only in 1994, was not lost on us.  

Speak Zulu?  A 40 second video I made of the Seder:
The video does not come through in the email version. Click to view video in YouTube.
(Yes, I was playing around with MS MovieMaker. Like that fancy title slide? EZ PZ.)


 On to the meal!
(Is it me or is that shirt adding on 15 lbs?)

I made Grandude Stan's Cold Beet Salad and his mock-chop liver.
(I'm no Naked Chef and people ate it up, so I was quite proud of myself.)

Lucy found the Afikoman, a hidden piece of Matzo. (Read more, Tozer.) 
As it is written in the Talmud, she was rewarded with a chocolate Easter Bunny.

The dinner conversation got a bit dull, apparently, so Lucy watched some CeeBeeBees (an offbeat British kids show on the BBC that they play over here). Think Electric Company with funny accents and guys named Nigel.)

A bit delayed, but hope everyone had a nice Passover, Easter, Wiccan Beltane, Spring Solstice, etc. 

xo,
Glenn

P.S. No blog posts next week.  We're headed down to Durban (on the coast... view map of our expected driving route) since Lucy finished Pre-K (cum laude!) (just kidding) and Adam is going to attend the big South Africa AIDS conference.  We're going with our friends, Dalius and Jay (from Seattle!), and their two kids (daughter Jiya, 3.5, and son Kovis, 16 months).  Indian ocean beaches and good Indian food (Durban is the center of the country's large Indian population) here we come!

1 comment:

  1. Half a piece of matzo is dessert? And I thought WASPs never kept food in the house. Believe it or not, I was recently asked for my flourless chocolate cake recipe for a Passover Seder. I make a pretty mean brisket as well. Heck, I've even been told I "look Jewish." Now, there was the time I brought you a big pan of homemade mac & cheese after one of your kids was born...during Passover. I'm just not terribly "observant." I will miss your posts next week. Here's what's happening in Atlanta: it's hot. Two weeks above 90. And it's early June. Did I mention the Code Orange air quality? The kids are watching Family Guy. Anything to keep them inside. We need a safari!

    ReplyDelete